The decision to replace major equipment can be a difficult one. How do you know when to call it quits on a part of your Boyette heating and cooling system that is as important as the heat pump?
Here are some signs that you should replace your heat pump:
- If your heat pump is making significantly more noise than it used to, it can be sign of major mechanical distress. Many times, replacement is the best solution.
- Some components of a heat pump cost as much or more to repair as the whole unit does to replace. These components may include the compressor, the outdoor coil, the accumulator and the reversing valve. Once one of these goes, you are often better off replacing the heat pump than the broken component. Additionally, when repairs become so frequent that it is no longer be cost effective, it’s a good time to replace the equipment.
- A malfunctioning heat pump can cause problems with the humidity in your home. This is not a definitive indicator, but if you notice the humidity level rising in your home, you may need a heat pump replacement.
- Any time your energy bill rises without a significant increase in usage, faulty or failing equipment is one of the top suspects. Your heat pump could very well be the culprit.
- If you notice a cooling imbalance, such as rooms being too warm while others are too cool, your heat pump may be close to breaking.
- Finally, if your heat pump is ten or more years old, replacing it is a good idea, even if it seems to be working fine. A new model will be much more efficient and chances are that the old one is headed for a major breakdown soon.
Keep in mind that these are not always definitive signs that your heat pump is done for good. Also, some of these may occur in combination. For example, you may have an old heat pump that is making a lot of noise and causing humidity problems.
Consult with Baker & Sons Air Conditioning, Inc for full diagnostics before making the decision to replace any major household equipment.
Call Baker & Sons Air Conditioning, Inc at 941-227-0676 to schedule an appointment today